IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER
In the bleak midwinter
G In the bleak mid- Em winter
Am Frosty wind made C moan, D
G Earth stood hard as i- Em ron,
C Water D7 like a G stone;
C Snow had fallen, C Snow on Em snow,
G Snow on D snow,
G In the bleak mid- Em winter,
C Long D a- G go.
1. In the bleak midwinter Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, Snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, Long ago.
2. Our God, heaven cannot hold him, Nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away When he comes to reign;
In the bleak midwinter A stable place sufficed
The Lord God incarnate, Jesus Christ.
3. Enough for him, whom Cherubim Worship night and day
A breast full of milk And a manger full of hay.
Enough for him, whom angels Fall down before,
The ox and ass and camel Which adore.
4. Angels and archangels May have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim Thronged the air;
But his mother only, In her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the Beloved With a kiss.
5. What can I give him, Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd I would bring a lamb,
If I were a wise man I would do my part,
Yet what I can I give Him Give my heart.